23. Animal studies student. Vegan.
I started vegetable gardening as a means of an escape from a crappy office job in May 2011, Turns out i love it.
I love growing my own food.
Love local produce.
I love the Blue Mountains.
I love rats, pigeons and seagulls.
• things I like
Sometimes I wonder if I’m becoming depressed and then realise I can’t be, to be depressed is to drag your feet every day, to feel like you want to die. I don’t want to die, but i feel like I’m dragging my feet most of the time, emotionally and physically tired from ‘life’, I derive very little excitement from anything, any excitement is muted and dull. I just want to curl up and go to sleep, to loose consciousness and to wake up truly happy.
My life hasn’t lost all colour, but its lacking saturation. whats that called?
6:22 pm • 25 February 2014 • 27 notes
"The girl who slept with your boyfriend isn’t a slut, she’s the girl who slept with your boyfriend."
No actually she is a slut.
but what does that make the boyfriend?
11:24 pm • 9 February 2014 • 18 notes
I look in the mirror only to be dissappointed by what I see. My beautiful soft milky skin that covers my body, my functioning legs with thighs that touch, my chest too small - a chest that does not need to it have breast fed, my stomach that I fill with delicious healthy food everyday covered in an inch of fat.
Dissappointed for what? It’s all amazing. Who’s to say I can’t have a bikini body? No one!!!! I have the right to feel good in swimmers, I have every right to enjoy the beach and the ocean, who gives a shit what other people say
12:03 am • 27 January 2014
I need feminism because…
- My gender should not be used as a common insult (slut, bitch, cunt, you’re such a girl)
- My workplace agreement says I should wear makeup to be presentable
- Because I get complimented “you work hard, like a man”…when I work hard, as a human being.
- Because i shouldn’t have to feel like I might get raped when walking to and from places
- If I imagine my brother or sister walking down a dark street, it’s my sister who’s at risk.
- Sex - Never slept with someone? Prude! Slept with people? Slut!
- Because by habit my mother only compliments my outfits when i look Traditionally “feminine”. I’m really much more comfortable in jeans boots and guys tees rather than dressing up like a cake decorated for other people.
- When females reject the advances of men quite often we are shamed/insulted. When I was 13 I broke up with a boy, so he told the whole school I was a slut (luckily I had enough of a backbone not to give a shit)
- I shouldn’t be made to feel bad that i don’t plan on getting married or possibly bearing children…as if thats all i’m meant for?!
- Because we have gender stereotypes for jobs. Men can be nurses and women can be mechanics if they damn well want to.
- Clothes - Society says take them off to be sexy, but also taking it off makes you a slut. It’s a fine fine fine line thats a complete joke.
- Breasts are seen as objects of desire…bikini clad billboards are fine, but breastfeeding (using them in a non-male dominated way) is something no one should see!
& Because saying “Vagina” out loud is way more distasteful than “penis” or “dick”
10:34 pm • 26 January 2014 • 10 notes
||I demand to be treated equally!
||But the guy has to be the one to ask me out
||and the guy has to pick me up
||and the guy has to pay for the date
||and the guy has to compliment me
||and the guy has to be the one to propose
||and the guy has to buy the wedding rings
||and the guy has to push the baby carriage
||and the guy has to do the yard work too
||and the guy has to pay me alimony and child support
||and the guy has to constantly tell me I'm a "baddass" and "strong, independent woman" who doesn't need a man to do anything for her!
9:58 am • 26 January 2014 • 176 notes
I hate how I’m often quiet because I have no idea what to say in case I embarrass myself, and it comes across as bitchy, or snotty, or ignorant. I honestly wish that I could join in the conversation and tell amazing stories and jokes. But for now, I’ll have to settle with listening to everybody else.
8:18 pm • 17 November 2013 • 20 notes
Parties, gatherings, I usually leave at some point without saying anything, just slip out the door. I can’t stay, i. Just. can’t.
8:07 pm • 17 November 2013 • 43 notes
No words can describe my life better than these.
8:00 pm • 17 November 2013 • 59 notes
Anonymous asked: No I interned at the zoo and that was my job. There were 80 of us all employed to educate children. We use props and games to teach conservation to kids. We teach them to recycle and to turn off the light and things. And all about the animals. They learn a lot. And being a person in the animal field I know a lot of people who because interested because of a trip to the zoo, and now they are getting careers to help animals
I’m not trying to be rude at all but I really believe that they could learn about how to recycle an turn off the lights and all about animals in the classroom and learn just as much
I also work in a captive animal institution (and am vegan), doing so has changed my opinion on captivity in a way that other vegans can not comprehend unless they are in the industry. Succesful Zoos and Parks are PARAMOUNT in the fight against extinction. People are much more likely to feel a kinship with animals and be compelled to give time or money if they can visit or interact with people.
And we care SO much about our animals, they are like personaly pets to us, we go out of our way to supply varied and rich diets and keep them entertained and enriched…even if people can’t actually see it.
There will always be room for improvement, but until we get government funding for many of our conservation projects and donations it’s a slow path upwards
6:40 pm • 5 November 2013 • 13 notes
While I don’t agree with keeping marine mammals in captivity, I am a zookeeper and yes many of the animals kept in captivity are for both education and conservation purposes and can be successful! I know its hard to understand but unless you are in the animal husbandry business and are trained, there is so much you can misunderstand
5:33 pm • 27 October 2013 • 74 notes
Omg starting tomorrow!
oh hey yeah sure i’ll do this…
Oh wait… I already do, It’s called common sense
8:32 pm • 3 February 2013 • 8,561 notes